You can never be too careful these days when using your bike to commute to and from various places within the metro. Theft can happen anytime, sometimes when you least expect it. So it’s all the more reason for you to make sure that your bike is safe and secure in its parking space before you leave it.
Here are a few tips that should help:
1. Always lock your bike – It doesn’t matter how long you’ll be gone. Stealing a bike needs only a matter of seconds if it isn’t locked.
2. Invest on quality locks – Bikes are fairly expensive, you wouldn’t want to lose yours all because your lock wasn’t sturdy enough to keep it safe. U-locks (or D-locks) and solid chains made of hardened steel are your best bet.
3. Make sure the lock fit is not too big – Getting a lock with a little too much space may allow for mechanical advantage.
4. Bring two locks – You need one for each wheel. The locks you use should be two different types as that will require different tools to remove. Make sure that at least one of the locks is secured to the bike frame.
5. Park in a guarded place – If there isn’t a designated parking space, at least find somewhere guarded or where a lot of people pass. With someone watching, the chances of your bike getting stolen are reduced.
6. Remove unsecured components – Anything unfastened can easily be taken off and stolen.